Grades 3-12 (Kit)
Engage students with this engineering design challenge! Students will design and construct a barn, and create a wind turbine that produces electricity for the barn (lights up an LED light). This fun challenge is included in the Farming for Energy lesson plan located on the National Agricultural Curriculum Matrix. Kit contains enough materials for students to work in five small groups. LIMIT 2
- Hobby motors
- Drill bit
- 5mm LEDs
- 5mm LEDs bidirectional red/yellow
- Test leads -alligator clip with pigtail
- 22 AWG solid hook-up wire - red
- 22 AWG solid hook-up wire - black
- Copper tape
Materials to Gather (not included):
- Wire strippers
- Glue gun
- Craft knife
- Construction materials such as; paper, cardboard, paper towel rolls, paper cups, plastic cups, 2-liter soda bottles, Legos, wood dowels, popsicle/craft sticks, corks, paper plates, wood skewers, push pins, paper clips, toothpicks, tape, etc.
If you are new to working with wire, this is a great tutorial.