Grades 6-12 (Kit)
Using a relay allows an Arduino microcontroller to power a high voltage object. This kit contains what you need to build a relay that can be used to control a grow light or a sprinkler in an aeroponics system. Use this system to replace the timer included in the SpaceLite (Plant Light) Kit or Classroom Aquaponics Kit.
Assembly Instructions (Power Point) or view the YouTube videos below.
Included Assembly Materials:
- Arduino Microcontroller - programmed with Arduino
- Arduino and breadboard holder
- USB Mini-B Cable
- Wall adapter power supply
- Solid State Relay
- 6 foot extension cord
- Jumper wires
- Hook-up wire - black (22 AWG)
- Hook-up wire - red (22 AWG)
- Copper wire ends (6)
Assembly Materials (not included):
- Electrical tape or shrink tube
- Craft knife
- Wires strippers
- Crimping tool
- Computer (Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux)
- Arduino Software
If you are new to working with Arduino microcontrollers or working with wire, visit our Arduino page for resources to get you started.
View lessons associated with this resource on the National Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix.